Saturday, May 29, 2010

My First Ultra -Rocky Mountain Double Marathon

A little nervous here; tomorrow is a big test; my first real ultra marathon; the Rocky Mountain Double between Cheyenne and Laramie, WY. .
Drove up from Colorado Springs this afternoon, arriving in Cheyenne about 4:00 PM to stay at the Little America hotel. Little America is a wonderful place, but too bad I won’t have much time to enjoy it with all of the suffering ahead.
After checking in, I attended a nice pre-race dinner and packet pick-up. Got a chance to meet some nice folks who will be running the double tomorrow, who also might be at about the same pace my goal is; somewhere in the 12 hour range. Actually I don’t have a clue on how to guess at what my time might be like, having never done a race of this distance. All I am basing my estimate on is that both of my Ironman marathons have been just over 5 hours. So, double the time and add a little more for good measure and there you have my best guesstimate.
At the dinner I also got to hang out with Liz and her friend Julie. Liz is from my running group in Colorado Springs; the Attack Pack aka the Middle of the Pack running group. She and Julie, who is an Air Force Lt. Colonel visiting from San Antonio, TX, are both doing the marathon. We met Miss Teen Wyoming, who hung out at the dinner table too, and that made for some nice conversation.
The most interesting gentleman at the table was Ira Brown, who will turn 70 next year. He started running when he was 55 and has done all of the 50 states marathons twice! Just goes to show you that at my age (44), I have no reason to be making any excuses. Ira has done a lot of ultras and full of encouragement.
Well, between now and then I need to get some sleep and then a have an eating and drinking contest mixed in with a little exercise spread out over 52.4 miles… See ya on the other side

No comments:

Post a Comment